Training camp is three weeks away. Here on the Rip City Radio website we have detailed the offense and how it has a chance to be pretty impressive in 2019. Now is the time to focus on Special Teams. I weighed the option of posting the Nevada game highlights. Jordan Choukair is the projected Field Goal kicker. His 2018 season was not his best. He had a chance to win the Nevada game after an incredible comeback by the Beavers. It didn't happen, but that game did show that the Beavers were better and they showed a fight in them that despite being down 30-7 they never gave up. For Choukair, 2019 is a chance for redemption in this his senior year. Last year he was 12 for 20 on field goal tries. Coach Jonathan Smith is a big supporter of Choukair but will have other options in 2019 if the redshirt Senior falters.
Choukair will be pushed by a walk-on Freshman. Jeffery Nelson is just outta Clackamas High:
Nelson kicked a 37-yard field goal at Reser Stadium to give Clackamas High School a 31-30 win to give Clackamas the 6A state title in 2017. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the college game.
Punter Daniel Rodriguez had a solid junior season and looks to be the odds-on favorite to be the primary punter in 2019. Take a look at his accomplishments in 2018:
• Played in all 12 games
• Punted 55 times for a total of 2,303 yards, an average of 41.9 per. That average ranks tied for 10th in a single season at Oregon State
• Tallied nine punts of 50 or more yards, including two each against Arizona and California. Season-long punt of 62 yards was at Washington
• Thirteen of his 55 punts were placed inside the 20, with three against Arizona, California and USC
• Had at least one 50-yard punt in seven games
• Also kicked off eight times. Performed an onside kick against Washington that was recovered by David Morris. The onside kick was performed as a drop kick
• Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention
Luke Loecher the redshirt Sophomore from Cedar Falls, Iowa could also see some time. He is a left-footed kicker and would be an effective change of pace for the Beavers in 2019.
Next up: The Beaver defense and we begin with the defensive line!!